Acute Care for the Elderly (ACE) units meet the special needs of older adult patients. ACE units differ in size and admission rules, but they share common themes of pride in care and focus on making patients better and reducing length of stay. Nurse-to-patient staffing ratios are typically better then in other units.
ACE Unit Goals:
• Maintain the patient’s pre-admission function level
• Prevent and/or reduce falls, skin breakdown, delirium, functional decline, immobility and more.
ACE units share common themes:
• Pride in care
• Patient improvement
• Reduction in hospital length of stay
• Higher nurse to patient staffing ratios
• Higher patient satisfaction than regular hospital floors